I love ice cream! And luckily for me everyone in my family loves ice cream. Especially my five grandchildren. One of our favorite things to do is load all five of the grandbabies up in car and go for ice cream. For that reason, years ago I found this recipe, I have tweaked the recipe over the years to make this a family favorite. Especially with the children.
This Banana Split Ice Cream Sandwich Cake is a fun twist on the classic banana split dessert. When you add ice cream sandwiches, bananas, pineapple, strawberries, hot fudge, whipped cream and cherries you can’t go wrong right? And I just feel like all the fruit cancels out some of the calories right? Okay maybe not, but still worth the indulgence.
When I told my grandsons, Clay and Peyton, I was making the ice cream sandwich cake they volunteered to help. This happens on a regular basis. Since I live with my grandchildren there is rarely a time when I am in the kitchen alone. So I decided to take their help and video their progress. I don’t know if you have ever tried to bake with boys but seriously they are a hot mess as you can see from this video. (click on link attached to the word “video”).
This cake is so simple to make. Literally you just layer the ingredients in a glass dish and put it into the freezer. This cake is so delicious and is a dessert that will make everyone smile.
I mean let’s be honest, banana splits are awesome. I remember when I was small High’s Ice Cream had the best banana splits. They had balloons hanging over the ice cream counter and you would pop a balloon and a little piece of paper would fall out to show you how much you had to pay for your banana split. It could cost you anywhere from 1 cent to 99 cents. Those were the days.
Super Easy Banana Spilt Ice Cream Sandwich CakeCourse: DessertsCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Make an impressive ice cream cake with little effort by layering vanilla ice cream sandwiches and all your normal banana split toppings to make a delicious dessert.
12 ice cream sandwiches
1 jar of hot fudge ice cream topping
1 12 ounce container of cool whip (I like to use extra creamy), thawed
1 20 ounce can of crushed pineapple, drained
2 ripe bananas, sliced
8 strawberries, sliced
1 16 ounce jar of maraschino cherries
- Place the ice-cream sandwiches evenly over bottom of a 13×9 glass or baking pan, completely covering bottom, cutting sandwiches to fit, if necessary.
- Pour hot fudge sauce over ice cream sandwiches and spread evenly.
- Add can of drained pineapple and spread evenly.
- Top with banana and strawberry slices.
- Spread thawed cool whip evenly over sliced fruit.
- Place maraschino cherries in even rows over cool whip.
- Cover and freeze at least 4 hours. I like to make this cake the night before my event and take it out to thaw for about 10 minutes prior to serving.
- If you want to get a little fancy wait to place maraschino cherries. Right before you serve the cake top the cake with whipped topping, a cherry and sprinkles. According to my grandsons all ice cream taste better with a cherry and sprinkles on top.
- Cut into squares and serve.